A visionary sportsman Jack Harrison Abbott was born Sept.
16, 1890, at Dufferin, Man. He received all of his education in Winnipeg. Wakelin Drug Store located at 1151 King (101st) Street. In 1910, Jack completed his apprenticeship and was admitted to the College of Pharmacy at the University of Toronto. He graduated pandora shop locator in 1911 and, with where can i get pandora bracelets his young family in tow, moved back to the town of North Battleford to set up Abbott's Drug Store. Over the years, Jack's drug store relocated to at least four different locations, the first of which is unknown. In 1913, Jack went into partnership with a Mr. Wilson. The pharmacy, renamed the "Abbott and Wilson Drug Co.," moved to the 1100 block on King Street. During this phase of the business, in addition to filling prescriptions, the store also offered a full line of stationery. In 1930, the store, renamed again to "Abbott Drug Store," was moved to 1051 King Street. It was moved again to 1082 King Street in 1946. The pharmacy was moved yet again to 1125 King Street in 1951. It seems a bit archaic by our standards, but Abbott advertised his business with slogans like, "Get the habit; buy from Abbott telephone number 3741." Despite Jack's demanding workload as a pharmacist, he soon became involved in community sports, particularly baseball and hockey. He played first base on one of North Battleford's first baseball teams. He was also a pitcher for several North Battleford teams charms for pandora necklace in the Merchant League. In addition, Jack was a member of every baseball executive during the decade of the 1930s. He also chaired the baseball tournaments at the annual agricultural fair during the 30s. And, when his playing days were over, he became an umpire, and organized and managed many tournaments in the Battlefords and surrounding area. In 1906, the North Battleford hockey team won its first Western Canada Championship. In 1926, a group of community minded sports enthusiasts formed the first Beaver Hockey Club. Jack was involved in every aspect of the club's operation from 1928 to 1937, first as a player, then manager, then executive member, and finally, as president. The Beavers became the most celebrated hockey team in Western Canada. In 1932, the Beavers made it as far as Winnipeg in their quest for the Allan Cup. In 1935, the Beavers were again in pursuit of the Allan Cup. Unfortunately, after winning both the Provincial and Western Canadian Championships, they were defeated by the Bearcats a team from Port Arthur. In 1937, the North Battleford Beavers were the top team in the four western provinces and north western Ontario and qualified to compete for the Allan Cup. In April, they met the Sudbury Eastern Canadian Champions in a best of five series in Calgary. Both teams' supporters were glued to their radios. The North Battleford and Sudbury teams were evenly matched which made for a fast and intensely exciting series. By all accounts, it could have gone either way, but Sudbury won the fifth game and was awarded the Allan Cup. Although Beavers' fans were devastated, they became part of history since this Allan Cup series was the first to be broadcast by radio coast to coast. The ball diamonds were first located where the Don Ross Centre now stands. In 1946, they were relocated northwest of King Hill and named Abbott Field in tribute to Jack Abbott for his staunch support of community baseball. Bleachers from the old baseball diamond were dismantled and erected at the new baseball field. The bleachers afforded a panoramic view of the spectacular river valley and the Eagle Hills in the distance. Fans were able to enjoy great baseball and great scenery at the same time. In 1949, a high board fence was constructed to enclose the entire field. Lights were installed in 1950. Dressing rooms were in the skating rink (now the North Battleford Bowlarena). Abbott Field was a huge draw for legions of baseball fans. The first baseball game was played at Abbott Field in 1946 and the last on June 29, 1966. On Sept. 3, 1952, over 5,000 fans packed Abbott Field to cheer on the North Battleford Beavers as they defeated Saskatoon. As an interesting side note, the license plate numbers of doctors who attended baseball games at Abbott Field began with '1" (ie., 1 567). The parking area for doctors was located next to the gate. If called to an emergency, a doctor was able to easily exit the grounds. There were, of course, no cell phones or smart phones in the 1950s. The hospital would call the ballpark and the doctor would be alerted over the loudspeaker. Jack Abbott was the charter president of the North Battleford Beaver Club, in 1947, the first year of operation, with Don Grant as manager, the Beavers played in the Saskatoon and District Baseball League. The organization's name was changed in 1949 to the Northern Saskatchewan Baseball League. In 1950, it was changed again to the Western Canada Baseball League. Jack Abbott was not only a dedicated sportsman, he was a strong advocate for volunteerism and community service. Variously, he was a member of the Retail Merchants Association, the Board of Trade, the North Battleford Skating Rink Committee, the Rotary Club, The North Battleford Curling Club and the agricultural society. Jack and Mary (Isobel Leask) enjoyed a happy marriage. They were blessed with a son, Lyle, who became a successful politician and businessman. Lyle served as a North Battleford city alderman in 1946 47 and mayor in 1948 49. He operated the family drug store for a number of years at 1125 King Street until he moved to British Columbia. Jack Abbott died on July 12, 1950, without having reaped the fruits of his labour. His beloved North Battleford Beavers won the Western Canada Baseball League championship for four pandora bracelet in gold straight years 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954 and in 1956. The Beavers also represented Canada at the Global World Baseball Series in Milwaukee, Wis. in the same year. Jack was inducted posthumously into the Saskatchewan Baseball Hall of Fame in 1994 and into the North Battleford Sports Hall of Fame on Oct. 28, 2000.
It was a fitting tribute. On the occasion of North Battleford's centennial, we admire and thank an extraordinarily talented man a player, manager, executive and builder of community sports. Jack Harrison Abbott was a visionary, an outstanding citizen whose accomplishments greatly enriched our community.
Prev: pandora necklaces and pendants
Next: buy pandora charms
|1||pandora phone charm...||40s to get Type 2 diabetes checks From Daily Echo Anyone attending the free NHS|
|2||pandora charms new collection...||Zardari Called On To Relinquish Powers In Pakistan We're going to report next o|
|3||pandora jewelry locations...||Allergic Reactions to Silver Jewelry Allergic reactions to silver jewelry can <|
|4||pandora shop locations...||A big data and webometrics theory Information centred research (ICR) is an info|
|5||pandora jewelry online retaile...||where single women outnumber men "There are all these myths about men and women|
|6||where to buy pandora charms ne...||African safari goes horribly wrong for Kamloops family Lindsay Jones, her 12 ye|
|7||buy pandora beads online...||Women on the Home Front in World War One Did World War One actually improve wom|
|8||pandora bracelet for charms...||Wonderful Mountain Cabin With Stunning Views Vacation Rental in New Mexico Cozy|
|9||pandora sydney...||Where are they now It could almost be 2011. A rumbustious media baron brought d|
|10||pandora charms stores...||Who will rule tomorrow's techology landscape CityNews pandora charm|